Saturday, September 19, 2015

Reflection on Project One Draft

We were instructed to peer review two of our classmates QRGs. The first one I edit was Jessica's. Her QRG was about the controversy over Japan's expensive 2020 Olympic Stadium design. Next, I edited Nick's QRG. He discussed the debate over editing the genes of human embryos. In the post below, I will explain what I gathered from peer reviewing about questions pertaining to "audience" and "context."

Splintercellguy. "Audience Frontier Fiesta." 1950 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication.


Audience

1. Who is going to be reading this document? Who am I trying to reach?

Mainly my classmates will be reading my Quick Reference Guide. In addition, my professor will be reviewing it. However, it's written so anybody can read it and learn about the GMO controversy; a Quick Reference Guide is intended for all. Also, I am trying to reach anyone who reads it to inform them about this controversy.

2. What are their values and expectations? Am I meeting those expectations?

Generally, a QRG is intended to inform readers about a certain topic; therefore, the reader should have no expectations or limited knowledge about the subject. In addition, the reader will expect to feel educated after reading a QRG. I feel as if my QRG is informative enough to meet the expectations of the reader.

3. How much information should I provide? How much background should I include without insulting their expertise?

Because I am writing a QRG, I need to provide enough information to fully inform the reader; he should have little to no previous knowledge about the GMO controversy. Therefore, I must include as much detail it takes to teach the reader. In addition, the reader wants to learn so my QRG will not insult their expertise.

4. What kind of language is suitable for this audience?

A QRG should be concise and informative; however, it must appeal to all reading levels because of the conventions of a QRG. Therefore, I must use simple but explanatory diction to educate readers of all levels about the GMO debate.

5. What kind of tone should I use with my audience? Do I use this tone consistently throughout the draft?

I should use an informative tone because that is another convention of a QRG. However, I must be careful not to sound pretentious or all-knowing. I do use an informative tone throughout the entire draft.

Context:

1. What are the formatting requirements of this assignment? Do I meet them?

The conventions of a QRG are concise paragraphs, subheading for each paragraph, left alignment, relevant images, and informative tone. I do meet all of the formatting requirements for this assignment.

2. What are the content requirements for the assignment? Do I meet them?

A QRG is intended to completely explain one topic. In my case, my QRG must fully explain the GMO controversy. I must include both sides of the debate, key speakers for each side, what they believe and say and how the controversy is playing out. I do meet all of these requirements.

3. Does my draft reflect knowledge or skills gained in class in addition to my own ideas?

Yes. In class we learned how to analyze different sources and genres of writing. Because of this, I was able to find adequate sources for my document. In addition, I was able to learn the conventions of a QRG and implement them in my draft.

4. Have I addressed any grammatical issues that were addressed?

Yes. I performed local revisions and also accepted the revision suggestions from my peers. Because of this, all grammatical issues were addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment