Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Thoughts on Drafting

In the post below, I will be reviewing the helpfulness of the the textbook's advice on drafting.

MarmadukePercy. "Woman with Underwood Typewriter." January 1, 1918 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication.
1.What parts of the book’s advice on the above bulleted topics are helpful for writing in this genre?

Drafting a Thesis:
The book was helpful in explaining what a strong thesis should look like. The biggest help to me was making sure my thesis was interesting; it should be the key catching point for your reader, but it also must be concise. Therefore constructing a strong thesis can be tricky.

Writing Introductions:
I think an introduction is important to include in a QRG because it introduces what the guide will be focusing on. The book helped in advising how to keep the introduction interesting but general enough to briefly explain what the piece of writing will be about.

Writing Conclusions:
In addition to an introduction, including a conclusion is important in a QRG because it wraps up the piece of writing. The book advises well on how to summarize the entry and come to a full circle ending.

2. What parts of the book’s advice on these topics might not be so helpful, considering the genre you’re writing in?

Writing a Paragraph in PIE format:
Writing in PIE format isn't really necessary for the QRG genre. Although the book provides good advice on how to construct an explanatory paragraph, this format is too lengthy for this genre. QRG are intended to be concise and to the point and a PIE format defeats that purpose.

Organization:
The book says that organization is central to an effective essay. However, in a QRG organization can be considered loosely because it has subheadings for every paragraph. Naturally, there should be an introduction of the topic and a conclusion at the end, but the organization in the middle of the QRG doesn't really matter since the reader can look at the subheadings to find what information they want to read.



Reflections:

I agreed with almost everything in Alyssa's post; however, I do think a conclusion is important in a QRG, just to summarize the article. In her post, Alyssa didn't find the conclusion section in the textbook to be helpful. Her post was nicely organized and she was thorough and complete in her responses. Just like Alyssa, I agree with Morgan's post. Just like me, she feels as if including an introduction and conclusive is important to the QRG. She also values the importance of a thesis, which is something I need to make sure I include. After reading these posts, I realize I need to work on my 1. thesis; I'm not sure I even included one. I also need to construct an 2. introductory paragraph; I need to make sure it's general enough and explains the purpose of my QRG. Finally, I need to make sure my 3. organization is understandable and includes the necessary information to meet the QRG requirements. 

2 comments:

  1. I had the same general answers as you, except I didn't realize that the PIE format may be too long for the QRG genre. That is a good point. I guess in QRGs the information that would typically be in one paragraph in an essay can be spread out over a couple in a QRG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savannah,

    In reading your responses I think you justified your points well despite me not agreeing with some of them. I do completely agree with what you said about the reading being helpful when it came to introductions and conclusions, as I wrote the same in my responses and usually have the most trouble with those paragraphs. However I interpreted the QRG genre as not fitting for a thesis since in my experience a thesis is an argument you're trying to make, and I thought this contradicted the QRG's purpose of simply presenting information with minimal bias. I also thought that the emphasis on the E (explanation) was important in focusing on not just information in the QRG but explaining it too.

    I think you're justified where you stand on your points, so no worries, I thought it was interesting seeing your point of view actually.

    Thanks for the read and putting up with my disagreements haha,
    -Mika

    ReplyDelete