Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Analyzing My Audience

In the post below, I will be answering six questions from A Student's Guide to analyze the audience for the rhetorical analysis of "Genetically Engineered Babies?".

Ninjakeg. "Ocean Park Wiki." March 11, 2008 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication. 


1. Who am I writing for? What are the audiences beliefs and assumptions?

The essay targets incoming engineering students. I am providing an explanation of how somebody in our discipline presents an argument about a specific topic. Because they are new students, they should not have too much knowledge of the debate or how somebody will argue a position in our discipline. However, they could have general knowledge of what genetic engineering actually is.

2. What position might they take on this issue? How will I respond to this?

Because the audience is new students, they might not have a strong position either way due to ignorance. However, because these are engineering students chose the engineering field, they might believe genetic engineering is a good thing and an interesting approach to "fixing" problems in our world. I will have to respond to this by considering the alternative but eventually refute it.

3. What will they want to know?

The audience will want to know exactly what designer babies are. In addition, they will want to know exactly why the author of the article believes genetic engineering is unethical. Finally, new students will want to know how to analyze a rhetoric situation in our discipline as well as how to cite in the ASME style (engineering citation).

4. How might they react to my argument?

Because the audience is new students, they will have limited prior knowledge. If I present my argument effectively, they will consider and agree with why designer babies are unethical. Despite this, some readers may disagree completely and believe in the benefits of genetic engineering of embryos.

5. How am I trying to relate or connect to my audience? 

I am analyzing a rhetorical situation for my audience; therefore, I am connecting to them by teaching and informing them of exactly how an argument is presented in our discipline while demonstrating how to dissect such a situation. I relate to the audience because we are both interested in engineering and major e=controversies within our field.

6. Are there any specific words, ideas or modes of organization that will help me relate to them?

The most effective rhetorical strategies for the essay will be logos and pathos. If I present the information logically and understandably, it will be easier for the audience to understand and digest the particular argument. In addition, anyone can relate to pathos; by humanizing an embryo, I will be able to explain why designer babies can be considered "unethical".


Reflection:

Morgan's post explains her audience is psychology students. Because of this, she feels as though logos and pathos will be the most effective argument strategies. I agree with this because the audience is new students; therefore, they will be more susceptible to emotion and agreeability to logic due to their ignorance. Jayni has new engineering students as an audience as well. We both feels as though engineers will want solid and credible facts and information. Jayni mentions how an appeal to  logic will be the most effective and I agree; however, I feel as though pathos would be beneficial as well.

2 comments:

  1. The rhetorical analysis for my article compares to yours very similarly. We both cater to science and engineering related populations to portray information about a certain controversy. Your topic being on genetic engineered babies and my topic being geoengineering of the atmosphere. I don't have any issues with your answers to these questions and would like to say great topic and keep up the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My audience does not cater to anything close to engineering or science. Intact, my audience does something that is the exact opposite of a precise science. However, as with my audience, I predict that you will experience a mixed reaction from your audience with each side having strong arguments and opinions for their side.

    ReplyDelete