Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Considering Types

In the post below, I will be considering types of public arguments and analyzing which ones will be most effective for my project.

Vulkano12. "Rhodesian Ridgeback." October 31, 2010 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication. 

Position Argument

This type of argument could be potentially effective in my project. By including both sides of the debate, I will be able to prove there is more evidence supporting genetically modified organisms, rather than opposing them. The pros and cons will allow me to fully explain the controversy while still allowing me to support my views.

Evaluative Argument

This type of argument would be effective because it evaluates the successfulness of a certain idea, in this case, genetically modified organisms. By analyzing the successfulness of GMOs, I will be able to prove my point that they are not necessarily bad.

Refutation Argument

This will be the most effective type of argument for my project. I will have enough evidence to refute every claim made by those in opposition to GMOs. This will allow me to effectively support my argument because I will be able to refute with evidence. I will be able to prove the potential benefits of GMOs.

Reflection: 

Morgan's consideration is a little different than mine. She considered every type of argument for her project and I only considered a few. Also, I feel as though an evaluative argument would be the most effective for her project because she would be evaluating the effectiveness of spanking for punishment. However, I feel as though refutation would be the most effective for my project because I will be refuting claims made in opposition to genetically modified organisms. Isabel's consideration of different types of arguments was very similar to mine. We both feel as though science and logic will be the most effective means of arguing our points. In addition, I feel as though evaluative or refutation arguments would be the best for either of our projects.

3 comments:

  1. All of the arguments you chose to be the most effective for your argument were the same for the types that I chose for mine. From reading your rhetorical plan post I see that we both chose informative essays as well as a possible genre for our projects. Because both of our arguments are science based, I think this type of genre will be effective. An argumentative essay will work as well to convince your readers of your argument. I think you have your project set up well, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a refutation argument would probably work best for your topic, especially because you are directly arguing against the popular opinion. I discussed all five types of argument in my post mostly to help myself consider each option, but I like that you immediately knew what would and wouldn't work for your argument. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I originally thought that an evaluative argument would be very interesting for your controversy however I also think that by picking a refutation argument you will be able to present both reasons why the opposing ideas are wrong and your own evidence in support of GMOs. You are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete