Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Rhetorical Action Plan

In the post below, I will be answering questions to create a rhetorical action plan.

Kenny Louie. "Coffee Break." April 18, 2009 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication.

Audience 

1. What does your audience know about the topic?

My audience has a general idea about the topic. The audience I'm targeting are people who are on the fence about being opposed or in favor of GMOs. Because of this, my audience should have some limited knowledge about the topic.

2. What values might your audience hold?

My audience believes in the rights of the individual in regards to labeling laws and knowing what their products are made of. In addition, my audience believes in personal health because they are concerned with whether or not GMOs are detrimental or beneficial. However, because they are on the fence, my audience is not strongly in favor one way or another.

3. What type of research or evidence do you think will be most effective for your audience? 

Scientific research, or the lack there of, will be the most effective because my audience is on the fence. By providing concrete evidence, I will be able to convince them that GMOs are not necessarily bad, especially because there is such limited evidence to actually prove GMOs "bad."

4. What visual evidence might your audience respond to and why?

My audience will respond best to charts and graphs because it will visually consecrate the idea that there is not enough evidence to prove GMOs are bad for you. In addition, graphs will visually show how GMOs have actually helped create sustainable farming.

5. What is the purpose of your public debate?

The purpose of my debate is to inform and persuade readers that GMOs are not necessarily bad. I want to help readers understand exactly what genetically modified organisms are and how they can help us. Though my public debate, I intended to cause readers to agree with my viewpoint and not be opposed to genetic modification.

Genre


1. What genre will you be writing in and what is the function of it?

I will be writing an argumentative article or an informative essay explaining why GMOs are not bad for us. The function is to persuade my audience of my viewpoint. Through my argument, I will be able to achieve the goal of my public debate. For both of these genres, the rhetoric context will be similar.

Informative Essay 

Example One
Example Two

Argumentative Essay

Example One 
Example Two 

2. What is the setting of your genre?

My article will be similar to those found of the Huffington Post or other publications. I could see it being used as an article in a tabloid magazine.

3. How will you use rhetorical strategies in this genre?

I will be using logos to support most of my evidence. In addition, I will be using ethos because I will be citing scientific and other credible evidence. I feel as though a logical argument proves the most effective when working with controversies in science because it is so gray.

4. What type of visual aids will you be using in this genre?

If I decide to use any visual aids, it will be graphs and charts with scientific evidence supporting my claim that GMOs are not bad.

5. What type of style will you be using in this genre?

I will be using an informal but informative style. I want to keep my argument informal so I don't scare away the audience; however, I still want to inform the audience of my view and support my argument with evidence.

Response/Actions

1. Positive Support

  • My audience will agree with my argument
  • They will stop boycotting GMO products which will benefit businesses and agriculture companies
  • They will try to learn more about GMOs and become more interested in the positive effects of them
2. Negative Support
  • My audience will disagree with my argument
  • They will be opposed to GMOs 
  • My argument will be ineffective
3. What is the most important negative consequence to address?

The most important negative consequence to address is my audience disagreeing with my argument. I need to ensure my argument is well supported and effectively presented.

4. What are potential chains of action?

If my argument is effective, my audience should stop being opposed to GMOs and try to learn more about them. Potentially, my audience could create and advocate for GMOs and sustainable agriculture for our future.

Reflection:

Alyssa's rhetoric plan was mapped out very well. We are both using logos and scientific evidence to support our claims. I feel as though this is the most effective means of supporting in argument in science and technology because not many people know much and scientific evidence will teach our audiences and support our claims. I also like how Alyssa had two different genres and provided examples to each. Isabel and I have similar action plans. We are both considering writing an informative essay which would be published in a magazine or something. However, her audience and topic are different than mine. We also feel as though visuals such as charts and graphs would be the most effective for our projects because it allows the reader to physically see data. 

3 comments:

  1. Your essay will be interesting because you are trying to both inform and persuade your audience whereas I am just trying to persuade mine. We are both, however, arguing the somewhat less popular opinion. You, from what I can tell, are advocating for the use of GMOs, and I am opposing spanking, which will be tough because more than half of people report either being okay with or actively spanking their children.

    I think you did a great job in this blog post of setting up the basis for a really good essay. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your argument is very similar to mine in that we are both wanting to inform our audiences of the issue. We both have like-minded views on our topics as well; we are wanting to persuade that the subject is beneficial to human life and the environment even though the controversy still ensues. We may have a tough time persuading readers on a long debated topic, but including reliable data and statistics into our arguments will be the selling point for readers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete