Thursday, October 1, 2015

Analyzing My Own Assumptions

In the post below, I will be analyzing my own assumptions about the article "Genetically Engineered Babies?".

Devilal. "Candle Light." August 24 2012 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication.

1. What cultural values, beliefs, etc. do you share with the culture in which the text was written. Why have they endured?

I agree that mother nature should decide the characteristic fate of a human. I think designer babies give certain people an advantage in life; however, I also feel as though genetic engineering would help eliminate certain diseases. In addition, I feel by eliminating disease and using only "desirable traits" in a genomic sequence, we will eliminate natural selection thus making overpopulation an even worse issue. Therefore, I agree that genetic engineering is unethical.

2. What values or beliefs do you not share? Why not?

I do not agree that designer babies will lead us to eugenics. I feel as though there are desired traits, like intelligence; however, I feel as though what is considered "beautiful" or "ideal" is too subjective between each person. Therefore, every parent has a different idea of a perfect baby and will not conform to what other parents want.

3. If text was written in another culture, what beliefs or values connect to your own culture? What is different from your culture?

This article was not written in another culture. Therefore, the values are the same as my culture.

4. If the text is written in your culture but in a different historical time, how have the values or beliefs changed over time?

This article was recently published and is therefore concurrent with the values of my culture.

Reflection:

Morgan's post had three equally interesting sources. She is researching physical punishment in children. I agree that excessive physical punishment is detrimental to a child's health; however, I do not think a spanking would be bad for a child. Her topic is interesting and should be fun to read when she does her analysis. Alyssa's post taught me that even if you don't know a lot about a topic, you can still research it. Her articles are about male circumcision. I agree that it's hard for females to relate to this culture because we don't have to go through that; however, I still feel as though it would be an interesting topic to research.

5 comments:

  1. Your article is a very interesting and very controversial topic. I completely agree with what you said about supporting genetic engineering in the sense that it could help to eliminate genetic diseases, though may not be ideal with America's "overpopulation" problem. Your view on eugenics made a lot of sense to me too! I would be tempted to disagree with you, but I definitely agree about beauty being subjective, so this couldn't really be considered a detrimental problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like in your answer to the first question that you addressed both sides of the argument, and then stated which side you agree with. Even without reading the article, I can understand the basic arguments that are being presented in this controversy. I would tend agree with you that genetically modifying/ engineering babies is not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy commenting on your posts because we always talk about similar topics. I agree with your views that genetic engineering of humans should not be of common use. I like how you've included both sides of the argument in that genetic modifications would be beneficial with regards to disease and disorders, but this would ultimately lead to a shift in the views of natural reproduction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Your article is very interesting especially when it addresses an issue that is so hotly debated. I enjoyed how you first noted both sides positions on the issue as well as clarified their meaning. Also your point that genetic modifications could be beneficial to disease control or prevention really struck me as a valid argument/reasoning when you write your future essay.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree totally with you completely about how we should not mess with the genetics of new human beings. I feel that mother nature should decide the characteristics of the newborns because the most appealing traits are the most natural.

    ReplyDelete