Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Analyzing Purpose

In the post below, I will be answering questions in order to analyze the purpose of my public argument.

tsbdave. "Skydivers." October 2013 via Pixaby. Public Domain Dedication. 

1. What is the goal of your public argument? What do you want your readers to believe at the end of it?

I want to explain in my public argument that GMOs are not necessarily bad for you. My public argument should inform readers about GMOs and educate the audience. I want the reader to consider and believe that GMOs are not bad; also, that there is not enough evidence to prove them detrimental. I also want to explain what GMOs are and their benefits and potential effects of GMOs.

2. Plausible Reactions

  • The reader will consider that GMOs are not necessarily bad
  • The reader will want to research more and educate themselves further on the controversy
  • The reader will no longer be opposed to the production and selling of genetically modified products
  • The reader will be less wary of GMOs
  • The reader will ignore my argument and still believe GMOs are bad
3. Not Plausible Reactions
  • The reader will fully accept or reject my argument
  • The reader will start their own organization to support/oppose GMOS
4. Chain of Likely Consequences

By informing the reader about GMOs, he will be able to understand the controversy. After this, I will support my argument that genetic modification is not necessarily "bad" and can actually be beneficial. This should cause the reader to consider the potential benefits and should stop the reader from completely being opposed to GMOs. This should ease the disparity between groups and allow the people in opposition to be less wary of GMOs. Because of this, markets will benefit since people will be less opposed to purchasing genetically modified products.

5. Possible Audience to Achieve Goal

People in opposition and people on the fence of opposition could be potential audience members for my controversy. However, in order to a chief my goal, directing my argument to people on the fence of opposition will be easier to sway and achieve my goal of the project. Those completely opposed will be harder to convince that GMOs are not necessarily bad, but those on the fence will be easier to convince and advance my cause and achieve my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment