Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Drafting Thesis Statements

In the post below, I will be drafting two thesis statements for the rhetorical analysis of "Genetically Engineered Babies?".

Toby Hudson. "PinkLadyApples." October 19, 2009 via Wikipedia. Public Domain Dedication. 

Pertinent Information:

Author- Wynne Parry. Journalist for scientific journals, focusing on biology, genetics and the body. Graduated from Columbia University.

Purpose- Intended to explain why embryo alteration is unethical. Parry presents her view to inform readers.

Audience- People who are interested in having kids, or even anyone interested in the field of engineering.

Ethos- Uses credible sources for support; unbiased, explanatory tone; educated word choice; and subheadings for effective visual organization

Logos- Uses evidence from experts in the field, logical organization, credible author

Pathos- word choice humanizes an embryo, repetition of words, analogies to highlight the lack of ethics involved

Thesis One

"By appealing to both logic and emotion, Parry is able to construct an effective argument, consisting of four different claims, against the unethical nature of embryo alteration for "designer babies.""

  • This thesis will allow me to provide examples of how Parry uses logos and pathos within each paragraph because she provides four different points against the argument.
  • It might be hard to organize my essay, so I would have to do four body paragraphs.
  • It might also be confusing to have two different rhetorical strategies in one paragraph.

Thesis Two

"In order to consecrate the credibility of her article, Parry utilizes logical strategies as well as her credibility of a writer."
  • This thesis will allow me to explain the logical appeal of the article
  • I can explain the authors credibility and the logical strategies implemented to analyze the credibility of this article.
  • It might be challenging to gather enough information from the text, especially about Parry's credibility. In addition, I feel as though this would not be a very interesting approach. 


Reflection:

Morgan's post taught me that you can do a lot with your thesis statement. She has two thesis that could change the direction of her essay completely. In addition, Morgan demonstrates how to construct a thesis for the rhetorical situation analysis rather than the strategy analysis. I like this because she has two different paths to take.  Kelly's post taught me how to reconstruct a thesis in a different way by maintaining the general idea. She varied the sentence type and sentence organization to change her thesis and all three were well written. I also like how her thesis was straight to the point. 

4 comments:

  1. It's funny that we both have articles that talk about ethics issues involved with parenting.

    I like your first thesis, and I think you could create an effective essay from it. While your second statement is well written, it's a little too narrow. I think it might limit your essay too much and make your writing process more difficult.

    You said that the first statement might constrain you to four paragraphs, but I think you could easily break up your paragraphs into sub points that relate back to a larger idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both of your theses, however I agree with Morgan in her comment that the second one might be too narrow. It could work if you have lots in examples in the texts and many different sources of support. Also, I find it helpful to start my thesis with "while..." or "Because..." because it kind of forces me to create a more complex thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost want to say that your first thesis sounds a bit funny and choppy, but as an overall sentence it is quite a good one. It would allow you to explore a broad amount of topics but not too many as to hinder your own credibility. For your second thesis statement, I also like it, change the word "of" to as so it reads, "her credibility as a writer." Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Savannah,

    I think the concision you have in your thesis statements are a quality worth keeping, because it is working well to provide clear direction to the reader. However, I think you could expand either of them to include more specificity, possibly on the claims Parry makes or what specific strategies were used. You wouldn't have to elaborate much, but I think you have enough room to provide names in your theses.

    Good work with these though, they give a clear direction for your analysis in my opinion and that's effective!

    -Mika

    ReplyDelete